Thursday, November 19, 2009

Opportunity to Learn - Volunteer

I was speaking with some friends last week and the conversation came around to boring work days. They are a few years older that I am, therefore a bit closer to thinking about retirement. They started talking about the things they wanted to do and were quite taken aback when I said that I wasn't planning on retiring. I happen to like my work and look forward to it every day (ok, most days ... LOL).

Being employed in a technical field, I find that each day I learn something new. I enjoy a challenge and learning is just part of my regular work day. Speaking with them reminded me how lucky I was to be in the position that I was challenged to research & learn regularly. As with most jobs there are repetitive tasks, but something almost always crops up that I have to find a solution to.

Not only does my job provide this opportunity, but so does my chosen hobby! This week is my second shot at learning how to create a TV show from all of the footage that we shoot for FOCUS. Last week I helped pull together a clip for the web from a previous show. The process was interesting, creative and it was very exciting to see the finished product.

The opportunity to learn ensures that I look forward to my work, my day. I believe I think more creatively and am generally optimistic as my mind is open to ideas, thanks to the ongoing learning process.

If your job doesn't offer the opportunity, why not seek out a hobby that does (volunteer some spare time). All it costs is your time and enthusiasm and you and the community will benefit.

Check this website for an organization that might interest you: http://www.charity-charities.org/volunteering/Canada-volunteers/ON.html

No comments:

Post a Comment