Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2009 Diabetes Celebrity Challenge - Lasting Impressions

There were thirteen of us in all that participated and we were challenged to live with diabetes for two weeks. On the final night of the challenge and we told our stories of the experience.

There were silimarities in experiences amongst the participants such as difficulty scheduling meals around hectic lifestyles and incorporating more exercise. It was facinating to hear the different stories of how the experience of got us to thinking of the implications of diabetes on the lives of family, community and the rest of the world.

Jonathan wrote about the increase in diabetes in developing countries, Betsy talked about the financial burden on diabetics, particulaly on low income families. The two student participants, Callie and Michelle relayed their stories of trying to incoporate a schedule into a lifestyle that resists one. My focus, after reading all that I could was - what can we do to prevent this?

We were presented with the costs of our two week treatments. If I had a health plan, which I don't - some of it would be covered. For me though it would have been about $100 out of pocket for two weeks and all I was doing for my diabetes was testing blood glucose once a day and taking a medicines for blood pressure, cholesterol and arthritis. Anually it would be about $2,500 plus a gym membership, a visit to the foot doctor, quarterly trips to the Diabetes Education Centre and family doctor (if I had one), parking, transportation, time away from work ... perhaps another $1000.

The other profile costs were also provided and the costs skyrocketed from $7,000 to over $13,400 anually although was for a relatively low number of insulin units (5-10) per day. Many people with Type 1 Diabetes take more insulin per dose/per day.

I read the warning signs, tested my blood glucose and I'm good right now. I am over 40, stressed and overweight. I don't exercise regularly, don't drink enough water, but I do eat very healthy most of the time. Am I likley to be diagnosed with diabetes in the next year - no. Could I be at risk later - certainly.

The common thought last night was that we can do something to help prevent or postpone this from happening to us. Eating healthy, losing weight and getting active can go a long way to providing us a diabetes free future along with a whole range of other issues.

Although we have now finished the challenge - I know that I'll be thinking of this for a long time and will be doing what I can to keep up a healthy lifestyle.

Find out what you can do to help ensure your healthy future - knowledge is power!

No comments:

Post a Comment