Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When weather hits - I might smile

When the weather hits you just know that some of us are excited (even if just a bit). Weather enthusiasts look forward to bad weather just like the sunshine.

I became a CanWarn volunteer several years ago. I took the training session and then enthusiastically watched the daily weather announcements so that I could put into practice what I learned. Its very much about being in the right place at the right time. I did live in Dufferin County at the time, a very good location for seeing weather action. I however lived at the bottom of Hockley Valley, a beautiful forested paradise. Unless I happened to be out and about, it was impossible to see anything unless you were in the thick if it.

A few years ago we relocated to the Peterborough area and after we were settled I started to look for ways to get involved. I was thrilled to find out that Environment Canada expanded the number of locations that they hosted their training session this year. I was prepared to travel to Toronto or Orillia if I really had to, but it was wonderful to have this training available in my own backyard.

This session featured weather snapshots and video from surrounding locales rather than the US mid-west. Geoff Coulson, Warning Preparedness Meteorologist for Environment Canada did a wonderful presentation citing details about recent regional events that really enhanced the training. It was almost like going to one of the sales conventions from years ago - the anticipation is rising and we're ready to spring into action.

I hope that you'll forgive me, but I AM hoping for a bit of inclement weather. I'm not wishing for anything significant - just enough to confirm that I understood the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment